National Nonprofit Day is August 17
National Nonprofit Day is held on August 17 each year to recognize nonprofit organizations’ ongoing efforts to serve the local community. Nonprofits throughout the country contribute to the shaping of our society and provide hope for a brighter future. Cancer Navigators is a nonprofit organization that was established in 2006 to provide the following free resources and services to cancer patients in northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama:
- Social Support Services – CN navigators assist patients with insurance and financial services – completing applications for Medicare, Medicaid, Disability, SSI; researching patient grants based on diagnosis/employment
- Counseling – A licensed clinical social worker is on staff to counsel patients
- Complementary Care – Acupressure, music therapy, stress management
- Nutrition – Referrals to food pantries; liquid nutrition for patients in treatment and struggling to eat
- Transportation – Gas cards/bus vouchers to assist with transportation to treatments
- Medical supplies and wigs, caps, hats
- Retreats – day & multi-day retreats
- Weekly patient support group – For patients to encourage one another (offered in-person or via Zoom)
- Caregiver support – To assist caregivers in caring for themselves
Cancer Navigators has experienced an increase in patients in 2022 with many in worse health and financial circumstances than in previous years. Over 90% of Cancer Navigators’ patients are classified as low-income, and from January – June, Cancer Navigators provided 2,421 free resources and services to cancer patients in northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama, distributing $20,675 in transportation assistance. Transportation and nutrition remain top barriers to cancer care and tremendous needs for patients. Donations to Cancer Navigators help serve all cancer patients referred and more adequately meet patients’ needs.
How can you support local cancer patients? Join Cancer Navigators’ fifteenforfifteen Monthly Giving Program and your $15 for 15 months will help 9 patients get to treatments; donate case(s) of liquid nutrition or $25 gas cards; make a monetary donation in the amount you choose; and help spread the word about Cancer Navigators by telling others and sharing Facebook posts. Your compassion is a blessing and a gift that keeps on giving.
For more information on Cancer Navigators’ services or to support Cancer Navigators, call 706-509-5040, email email@example.com, or click “Donate Now” on the homepage of cancernavigatorsga.org.